Sunday, March 9, 2008

Not all opportunities are meant to be taken

I was deeply inspired and convicted by a sermon I heard recently by Kris Vallotton about "The price of freedom". In it he mentioned with particular emphasis that "God sometimes gives us opportunities that He doesn't want us to take".

One of the scriptural basis of this statement is the story of David and how he was presented the opportunities to kill Saul but didn't take them, even though there were even prophecies to "support" his slaying of Saul (1 Sam 24-26). I was reminded through this story that it was David's heart response that made such a difference and added towards him being called a man after God's heart.

The key thing I took from the message was that God's purpose wasn't so much to have Saul killed but to test and promote David. David's statement of the fear of the Lord says so much:-

He said to his men, "The LORD forbid that I should do such a thing to my master, the LORD's anointed, or lift my hand against him; for he is the anointed of the LORD." - 1 Sam 24:6
At that critical point, even though all signs pointed to him having to kill Saul, and every reason would have justified his actions, David's concern at that point was still honouring God and trusting that God will avenge for him.

God sometimes gives us opportunities He doesn't want us to take to test our hearts and to promote us.

As if wanting to drive the point home, a few days after I heard this message, God presented a opportunity before me that seemed to test if my convictions of what I had learnt were real.

An invitation came for me to lead worship at a big national meeting. Before that, I had already suspected I might be asked again this year, and in my heart, struggled with whether I should say yes or no, and whether it was something God would have me do.

Why should I even struggle with this, you may ask? Well this is a journey God has brought me through over the years to deal with my pride. Being on the platform frequently means pride often rears its ugly head and I am tempted to think more about myself than I should.

Therefore when this invitation came again, I told the Lord that I genuinely was OK not to take it but it wasn't that I was not willing to serve. But at the end of the day, if it's something that He would have me do, I didn't need to strive for it.

The next day, Pastor said no to the person who asked if I could be involved.... and I had such peace!! It must be God!!

Through this timely experience, I learnt that it is more important for God's work in my life to be accomplished first. His purposes extend beyond me but He is also deeply interested in my life. I am compelled to honour God in everything I say and do. I take the example of King David, and Jesus Christ... there are many opportunities that God gives, but our hearts and response must point to Him and not our own interests or agenda.

I'm so grateful that God reminded me of this. Because now the next level of test has just come! I can't share on this public blog but let me just say that it is truly an exciting time of trusting the Lord for His purpose.

My prayer is anchored in His Word:
"... for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose."
- Phil 2:13

As I surrender my life to Him, I trust that He will guide me in my will and actions towards His good purpose.

1 comment:

florence said...

Wow jenn! i can sense so much passion for God in you even as i read your many posts.. i'm sure many ppl are gonna be impacted from reading your blog just as i have been moved.. i'm really so proud of you man.. really really! wow..

floflo